BOK CHOY INFO:
Cooking Times for Bok Choy
- Boiling 3 - 4 minutes for the stalks, 1 - 1 1/2 minutes for leaves.
- Steaming about 6 minutes for the stalks, 2 - 3 minutes for leaves
- Stir-fry about 5 minutes for stalks, 2 minutes for leaves - the leaves should be just wilted and bright green.
ORIENTAL BOK CHOY SALAD
1/2 c. butter
2 tbsp. white sugar
1 bottle of sesame seeds (1 oz.)
2 pkgs. Ramen noodles (broken up), do not use flavor packet
1 sm. pkg. slivered almonds
2 lbs. bok choy lettuce (chopped coarsely)
5 to 6 green onions, tops and all chopped
In large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add sesame seed, noodles, almonds and sugar. Stir all the time until lightly browned. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Toss bok choy and onions together, mix and chill until ready to serve. Just before serving, break up the crunchy mixture, add to bok choy, pour dressing over, mix and serve.
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. red wine vinegar
1/2 c. white sugar
2 tbsp. soy sauce
Baby Bok Choy, Sugar Snap Peas & Garlic
From Parade Magazine 3/15/09
32 sugar snap peas
12 baby white onions, peeled and halved
2 baby bok choy, quartered
1 clove of garlic, very thinly sliced
4 tsp olive oil
4 sprigs mint
2 tsp grated orange zest
Salt & pepper, to taste
- preheat oven to 400ºF. Cut four 12-inch pieces of nonstick foil.
- mix all of the ingredients together and spoon equal amounts onto the center of each piece of foil. Draw up the sides of the foil and seal the packets well; leave room around the ingredients, so they can steam. Put packets on a baking sheet.
- bake 15 minutes, or until the bok choy is tender. (Open a packet to test). Serve immediately.
Bok Choy and Spring Onions (Cooks.com)
2 tbl soy sauce
2 tbl water
1 pkt sugar substitute
1 tbl canola oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 bok choy with leaves cut
crosswise into 2" pieces
4 green onions chopped
3 garlic cloves finely chopped
Crushed red-pepper flakes to taste
2 tbl coarsely-chopped peanuts
In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, water and sugar substitute; set aside.
In a wok or large, deep skillet, heat canola and sesame oils over medium-high heat. Add bok choy, green onions, garlic, soy sauce mixture and pepper flakes to taste. Stir-fry just until bok choy is wilted, about 3 minutes. Stir in peanuts and serve immediately. This recipe yields 4 servings.